Monday, January 4, 2010

Poems from the Past

“Poetry and Hums aren't things which you get, they're things which get you. And all you can do is go where they can find you.”

- Winnie the Pooh

These Poems were written when I was in college, round about my junior year. I began college as a news writing major, but became disillusioned by the straight forwardness of the news. After a multitude of Psychology, Sociology, Anthropology, Humanities, Comparative Arts, Poetry and Creative Writing courses, I shifted into the College of Communication, with an emphasis on Interpersonal Communication in the Health and Human Services.

Did you know that Communication is a Science?

With all of these wonderful Humanities and Liberal Arts classes
now percolating deep with in my core,
I had lots to wrap my curious mind around, and

My creative writing courses became the the highlight, and the challenge of my college career.

But, I still didn't have a make-a-living career in mind.

Or did I?

When I graduated, I worked in the Loss Prevention department for Saks Fifth Avenue, doing book keeping clerical work. Next, I sold radio Advertising for a classic rock radio station. The Perks were great, but I was no salesman.
Thankfully, my first child was born that year, and two more to follow,
granting me
the vocation of a lifetime:

Motherhood.

Parenting is the toughest job you'll ever love.

As they became older, and my time became more mine, I decided on a part time career as a massage therapist, going back to school for a year, with the intentions of Working my own schedule, when the kids were at school or on weekends. Somewhere in the mix, with 18 or so more years of Life experience under my belt, and a therapeutic need to gush, I began writing again.

Aha!!!!
I am a writer.

I always have been.
Ever since that first teacher told my parents I had a gift for writing.

Here are some early iterations.

I'm glad I found them now.

For NOW is always a good time to revisit who we really are,
and to let it be known with abandon.

I'd like to think I've grown as a writer since then,
but when I read what I wrote over 20 years ago,


I can still see the me, I see today.


Today is the day I remember the essence of who I am.

Today is the day I live the life I once imagined.

How about You?


Somehow, My picture ended up in the School Handbook. I never remember wearing a skirt in College, But, here is proof!

Click on each poem individually to get a larger view ;)






No comments: