Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Some of My Best Friends are Labs


"I Never Met a Lab I didn't Like."

-Spencer Ives,Family Dog Extraordinaire


My Name is Spencer

I am a Vizsla.

But some of my best friends are Labs
.

(Labrador Retrievers, that is.)


They're a different breed than I am.


Just look at us--


You'll see.


But we're more alike than different--


On that we both agree.


We both adore to wrestle


We love to fetch a stick!


We love to love our families.


We love to learn new tricks!



Each Lab's an individual.


Each Lab's a unique dude.


Each has a special love to give


Just like Vizslas,


And like YOU!



Some Labradors are shiny black


And some are sunshine yellow-


They even come in chocolate- brown


Some are frisky,


Some are mellow.



In fact, I never met a Labrador I didn't like.


I look for them each time I hike.



When I get home,


I look no more--


Since Chloe and Charlie live right next door.


And Yellow Labradors are such fun,


They run and run, and run, and run.



Charlie digs out from his fence


And comes to visit me.


He looks both ways when crossing


He's as careful as can be.



And then we're off to having fun


I'm teaching him to be


A dog who likes to point and chase


All of the birds He sees.




I wag goodbye to Charlie


When I go "Down the shore."


That's where I've got


My good friend Jake.


We swim and run some more.



Now Jakie looks like chocolate


And He smells just as sweet.


I tell you this a nicer Lab


You'll never, ever meet.



Jakie's got experience, so


He's teaching ME to be


A Vizsla to be proud of--


I hope that's clear to see.



And when it snows, I go to Vermont


Out there it's really cold


So Mom puts on my special coat-


It's red and green and gold.



We visit the Farm at Cobble Hill.


Aunt Peggy welcomes us there.


That's where her good Friend Theo


Introduced me to a mare!



In the barn and on the fields


He taught me to behave


I'm sad when it comes time to go


I wish that I could stay.



But then I'd never get to see


The other Labs I know.


I'd miss our Sunday visits


To the dog park where we go.



The black ones


Yellow ones


And the brown ones


All would miss me so.



And during the week I'd really miss


My trots along the trail,


Where Mom and I


We like to hike


Up over hill and dale.


And at the end


There is a place


Where Labradors convene,


To chase a ball and


And dive spread-eagle


Right into the stream.


Now I can't swim as well as them,


But when I'm done


I'm beat.


Mom towels me off,


And I jump straight


Into the car's front seat.



When we get home


I know that soon


My family will show--


By bus and car


I can't stand still,


They know I love them so.


Then they arrive!


I wag and wag!


A "Vizsla Dance" I do!


I love to play with Labradors


But I love people too.



They throw me balls


They give me rubs


They feed and water me.


They help me to meet Labradors


I'm Grateful as can be.



And when at times they're feeling blue


I make sure that I'm near


I'll nuzzle close


And snuggle in


And lick away each tear.




This makes them feel much better.


It makes me feel good too.


It makes their hearts all warm inside


And that's the doggone truth!



We're blessed to have each other.


And we acknowledge this.


There's not a day that passes


Without a Vizsla Kiss!



And when the dog day's ended,


I'll curl up by some feet,


And dream about


The Labs I'll meet


When I walk down the street.



Dedicated to Spencer, Who really knew how to "Spread the Love Around", and of course to all of the Labs He knew……….

1 comment:

Suzi Q said...

That was beautiful and it made me smile through the tears. God bless you for sharing. :)