Saturday, May 31, 2008

It is What it is, and That's All That It Is

"I speak without reservation from what I know and who I am. I do so with the understanding that all people should have the right to offer their voice to the chorus whether the result is harmony or dissonance.
The worldsong is a colorless dirge without the differences that distinguish us, and it is that difference which should be celebrated not condemned. Should any part of my music offend you, please do not close your ears to it. Just take what you can use and go on."
~Ani DiFranco

I recently had the pleasure of taking my daughter Lindsey to her first concert. As a supporter of public radio I was given two tickets to an intimate concert event with Ani Difranco, American female poet of our time:

American female poster child of "What Is."

The details of the event weren't given until the day before, and it was first come first serve, standing room only. We arrived early enough to secure a place in the second row, where we stood for an hour awaiting the show to begin. Regaled with tales of concerts past, from die-hard fans from all vicinities, Lindsey was indoctrinated.
We were front and center, my daughter and I, she, standing perfectly behind and between the two friends; one short and one tall, who had met at an "Ani show" many years prior.
I was standing behind the tall one, so my view was sometimes obstructed.

The fans, being socially conscious, were well behaved, but held their ground when tested by encroachers who wanted to get just a little bit closer, just a little nearer the performer's hypnotic, self confident, inspiring "As is" presence. Each fan had her own territory, her own space, which was determined by both timing and zeal.

I could feel the frustration of the patron behind me who was considerably shorter than I.
At the same time, I am obstructed and the obstructor.

"But my 5 ft 7-ness is a fluke," I nonverbally protest; both of my parents are vertically challenged.

But Such is Life.
At one time or another, you'll be standing behind "the taller one," who inadvertently obstructs your view of "What is."
We may have to move left or right of center to get a better view, but there will be times indeed, when we must hold our ground with zealous roots, and we too may inadvertently obstruct the view of the considerably shorter.
Fluke or not.

We try not to encroach, as we get just a little nearer
self confidence and inspiration,
acknowledging that each of us wants to be accepted "As is,"
equipped with our own territories; our own space,
which is
determined by both timing and zeal.
We are Each, our own particular poster child of "What is."
And It is What it Is.
“My idea of feminism is self-determination, and it's very open-ended: every woman has the right to become herself, and do whatever she needs to do.

~Ani DiFranco


1 comment:

Chad Weatherford said...

Thanks for leaving a comment on my blog. I had the pleasure of seeing Ani play in Denver, Colorado a few years back...I think she should run for president.