Friday, May 2, 2008

You've Got To Play to Win

Have you ever dreamed about winning the lottery? About what you'd do if you suddenly acquired an inordinate amount of money? I've seen interviews with multi-million dollar lottery winners, and most of them are in shock, dumbfounded at the fact that they've beaten the odds.

But, you've got to play to win.

I've observed my dog Captain in the same position. When we go hiking, He goes out with the intention of finding a souvenir of some sort. Generally, it's a stick or branch of some kind; and often it's much larger than he is. But that doesn't stop him from running with it or trying to hop in the car with it. Recently, he found a red rubber dog bone on one of our adventures. He came bounding out of the woods, neck upright, trotting in the most poetic fashion, as if to say "Can you believe it? I went out looking for a stick, but look what I found instead!" Never have I seen such Joy. Such unbelievable pride. To just observe this joy doubles my own. When he greets you after an absence, he makes sure he has something to present to you, and more often than not, He prances out with the red rubber bone and the unmistakable dance of "Remember what I found? Can you believe it? Can you believe it?"

If you haven't noticed, I have a great deal of respect for our animal compatriots. A great deal.
For their outlook, their overall Being just wreaks of faith. Just wreaks of "Seek and you shall find". Just wreaks of "Be still and Know that I am." A trait us two-leggeds often have trouble allowing, even though affirmative examples abound. And odds are beaten all of the time.

But You've Got to Play to win.

Faith is different from proof; the latter is human, the former is a gift from God.
Blaise Pascal

No comments: