Thursday, April 10, 2008

When Life Hands You Magazines, and Unwanted Catalogs.......

Not long ago, I began the practice of collaging. I had stacks and stacks of magazines and books, and began cutting images and words for the purpose of creating a brochure. It reminded me of my days in Catholic school when we were required, fairly regularly to create collages. I really use to love it. Give me a project! any project, and I could show you just how much I really knew. Just How much was really percolating inside me. I could lose myself for hours cutting out pictures and words, making poems and images and generally just expressing my inner nature.

I think it's a valuable tool for unearthing all those thoughts and ideas that have remained unexpressed. It has become an enjoyable and enlightening pastime for me, and I find it quite relaxing. When the magazines and catalogs begin building, and it's time to recycle them, I sit down with my special scissors in hand and begin cutting. Creating collages bring back one of the old joys of childhood, and brings to the forefront a healthy life practice I know of called
"Letting Go."

"The hardest part is what to leave behind. It's time to Let Go."
-Winnie the Pooh

Collaging, for me, represents "cutting away" all that isn't serving me, and holding onto only that which does serve.

When my session is through, I have a nice little pile of images and concepts. I add them to my shoebox.

What is left over, I Don't hold on to any longer. I let go of it. Letting go of what doesn't serve me any longer, I Recycle.
In doing so, I feel like I've made the most out of the magazines I've ordered. I've read them, I've taken out of them what I needed, and then I recycle what's left over.
It lightens my load, and reduces the clutter in my home and in my mind at the same time. Two Birds with one stone. Well, actually 3. It satisfies my need for self expression, and my need to create. O.k. 4. But do you see it's value?

Now it's time to begin the actual collage. I begin selecting words and phrases I am drawn to. Inevitably, a theme emerges. I place the word or phrase that seems to be the "Title" and build around it. I choose images and words which apply, and before you know it, I have a very visual definition of a theme from deep inside me. My pages have become uplifting guides for me; reminders of what my soul yearns for, and just how much is really percolating inside me.
It's also a gentle reminder
that the Master Recycler is capable of one Robust Brew.

And that's quite a wake-up call.

No comments: